Monday, November 1, 2010

He's a Superfreak!

First...Happy Birthday Shannon!! I love you! And I even forgive you for telling me to "Shut UP!" at the lunch table junior year :)

Anyway, I know that most of you who read my blog are very close friends and family for whom I don't need to fill in the cracks of my stories with side-notes reminding you that I am only partially serious. The rest of you are probably my friends on Facebook, don't ever say hi, are contemplating hiding me because I obviously have all-day internet access as evidenced by my frequent posts, but can't help your voyeuristic tendencies and have to peek into another person's life when given the opportunity. I get that...I'm okay with it. You won't ever catch me writing anything personal enough that I wouldn't want you to know about it. But don't get any crazy ideas...we have identity theft protection safeguards in place and you will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of whatever Lifelock allows! (Not to mention there are WAY cooler people you could be than us. Think about it...)

I think sometimes I use my blog as a place to joke around about having kids and how they make you long for the days when being stressed was equated to whether or not your Esprit bag was still in style when the rest of the world had moved on to Jansport. But all joking aside, I LOVE my kids! I adore them! I don't remember my purpose without them! For every pain they cause me, they bring me a million laughs and for the first time in my life, they have made me entirely selfless without having to consciously think about it. They can make my heart overflow and then, in the very next breath, they can bring me to my knees begging God for mercy (and a 20 minute grocery shopping trip by myself). Only if you are a parent, and completely honest with yourself, can you truly truly understand both sides of this dichotomy.

One place where Emery has always tested my patience is in social situations. He is his dad's child for sure! Analytical by nature, very cautious, and not fond of crowds. Emery's not swayed by the story time lady's promise of sticker prizes and he laughs in the face of Santa (a safe 30 feet away) waiving a candy cane as a bribe for coming closer. This is all in stark contrast to my own personality! I mean, you know I wore school colors on spirit days by choice! Anyway....the point is that it is really taking a cognitive effort for me to learn to navigate Emery's nonsensical world. This is what I have learned so far:

  • Story time = Emery's Personal Hell. That lady is scary. The puppets are scary. The sea of 3 year olds is scary. It's used only as a means to an end to get to play with cousin Josiah afterward.
  • Soccer = Not a fun team sport. In Emery's world everyone has their own ball and operates exclusively of the other teammates. Interaction is entirely overrated.
  • Swimming: No. No. No. For a million reasons No. There was a brief second of victory where he put his toes in the water without me holding his hand only because the instructor somehow equated it to being like the Polar Express.
  • Dancing and singing "Superfreak" with a life size skeleton on your unknown neighbor's porch while in an astronaut suit: Perfectly acceptable, completely unintimidating, and a preferred pastime.
Ahhhhggg...yes. The kid with a million reservations has an affinity for life size singing & dancing skeletons. His grandma Davis has one (cleverly named "Mr. Bones" by my astute child) and Emery has learned every word to every song that he sings. I have the only 3 year old on the planet who follows "Twinkle Twinke Little Star" up with "Slow Ride.....Take it Easy." And wouldn't you know it....our neighbor has one of those creepy skeletons too! Watching Emery knock on a door and confidently say "Make him dance!" instead of "trick or treat" brought 2 thoughts to my mind:

1. It's going to take at least 18 years to figure this kid out....I'm not even sure that is enough time.
2. Who passes by a life size dancing skeleton and thinks, " I MUST buy that!!"? (No offense mom)

Here is our Halloween Photo Album:



He wanted to be a robot, but this crafty mom convinced him that a pre-made astronaut costume was waaaaaaaaaay cooler! He bought it! :)



Thank you Grandpa & Nana for the shuttle!



All of the cousins!
(Gavin, Preston, Christian, Beau, Josiah, Emery, Jadon & Owen)



"Mr. Bones 2.0" and a very amused neighbor!
(We were at this house a good 15 minutes)



Em's very best buddy (and cousin) Josiah

3 comments:

  1. I love his costume ... and that's so cute that he loves "Mr. Bones" - lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shan...she doesn't forgive you! But I LOVE YOU, and you never told me to shut up! :) Oh, love you too Jenny...you keep cracking me up with these things, I'm a stalker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the costume Jenny. I'm so surprised he likes the skeletons. Sophie would be terrified. She freaked out over Shrek down the street. Poor kid. See you tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete