Thursday, October 14, 2010

-$16.96


So I've been a stay-at-mom for about nine months now. I remember when I was pregnant with Lu I used to count down the days until I was able to wake up every morning and only see 2 smiling little faces instead of 30 adults trying to convince themselves that 6 doughnut holes do not equal the calories of one whole doughnut. (Or maybe that was just me? And before you go judging I refer you back to the last sentence where I said I was pregnant!) But now I look forward to any activity where can I use the restroom without an audience. Dental check up? I'm there!! I love my children, but I'm willing to bet all of you stay-at-home-mom friends are nodding your head in agreement over your second cup of coffee right about now.

More often, however, my days are filled with potty trips, park dates, and play groups. Speaking of play groups....I found Emery the most amazing new play group! It's a co-op in Newberg called Indoor Park. Ems is a rather cautious fellow so I eagerly signed up the very first day when I saw that he was able to play without looking for me every 2 seconds. This is a MIRACLE in Emery land!! In retrospect, someone should have clearly explained to me that "co-op" means you have to help out once in awhile. Whhhhaaaaaaatttt? Me help? I need help! This is the exact opposite of productive! But Emery likes it and the group of women seem to be really nice.

In a total coincidence I even went to high school with one of the other moms. We'll fast forward through our trip down memory lane and instead just focus on the fact that she now has an adorable daughter named Sophie. Sophie has the "little girl hair" I dream of Lu having someday. Straight and side swept...held perfectly in place with a feminine little hair clip. And do know what her perfect toddler hair did to me? I'll tell you what it did....It created an extreme and immediate need for tiny baby hair clips!


Actually, on my very next trip to Target I headed directly to hair accessories where I found some similar clips. I grabbed at them dreaming of a moment where Lu would be skipping through a daisy field with the sun catching the highlights on her neatly tucked back long bangs. A moment which would be made entirely possible by this purchase alone! But my heart dropped quickly when I could not locate a variety pack in which I loved
every single clip. I considered switching out a few but made a quick glance to the "eye in the sky" cameras. They're watching. They're always watching.* And $2.99?? $2.99 for some tiny ribbon clips? No thank you Target! I can make these way cheaper!!

Naturally, my very next trip was to Michael's Craft Store (sans weekly 40% off coupon....that's how immediate this need was) where I promptly bought everything it would take to make Lu her very own perfect variety pack. Checkout total: $19.95. Take that Target! I saved......wait....I saved -$16.96?! So to make a long story short, I have been up to my elbows in hot glue and ribbon trying to make Lu every hair bow/hair flower known to man. And since it seems that I have the supplies for 400 bedazzled hair accessories, I thought I would make Sophie a few too.

Thanks for the inspiration Sophie! Also, you owe me $17 :)




Yeah.....this one is a little much. It's a work in progress!

* My husband (who spent many a college years as a grocery store manager) just informed me that very few stores can afford to pay someone to watch those cameras 24 hours a day. So while I don't condone opening multiple packages of anything and switching it out so some poor sucker gets all stripes while you pack home the coveted "match anything" solids....I can at least help you feel a little less nervous about putting something back six aisles north of where you found it.

7 comments:

  1. Oh Jenny, I love you $16.96 worth! That last pic of Lu is GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny, just what I needed today...a little laugh! When I first read "eye in the sky" I was thinking that you were worried about what God would think...haha! Love the hair clips, they are absolutely adorable! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the one with the flower, it is not too much. I agree with the pic of Lu being gorgeous...and you can even see her two different color of eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's not a loss; that's inventory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so proud that Sophie could inspire such adorably creative hair clips! Love the blog....you're a great writer and it's fun to read. :) See you Tuesday! Can't wait to see which clip Lu will be wearing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the clips! If I have another girl, we totally have to have a clip making party! I've always wanted to make them, but never taken the time! You are my inspiration!

    btw....love your blog....just discovered it today, and it cracks me up! You and your sis are such good writers! Guess the Canby school district was good for something!! Haha! :)

    ps. If you need assistance with showing possession with the apostrophe, just let me know. I teach that to my 4th graders!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I make hair bows, etc. for Zoey so I could totally relate to this post! very cute!

    ReplyDelete