Saturday, October 16, 2010

Cupcakes are so 2008....

I noticed a very funny thing happens when you start blogging. People start telling you their stories too...it's awesome! It's like re-meeting everyone I already know! And even cooler than that, people say things like this: "Hey Jenny....if you ever write about me in your blog, refer to me as "Amber" so no one can trace it back to me." Okay, here's a tip "Amber" - this is my 3rd post. I probably have a collective readership of about 20 people - 10 of whom are my immediate family that you have known since you were 5. If I so much as mention your hair color, they are going to know who you are. And if you weren't on my blog radar yesterday, you most certainly are now so I strongly suggest that you don't do anything stupid in my presence. But since a glass of wine is pretty much a permanent fixture in your hand, the chance of you heeding my advice is slim to none. It's not looking good for you, my friend. Not looking good....

I've also started taking a more active interest in other people's blogs. I love all of the family pictures and catching up on people's lives during nap time. Even though this is a rather new interest there is one blog that I have been actively following for awhile written by a gal from my very own home town (Go Cougs!). Do you know how you watch Grey's Anatomy fully knowing there is a trauma scene coming that you will have to turn your head from, but the mind teasing storyline makes that one minute of horror completely worthwhile? That's how I feel about reading this particular blog. And Pamela Susan- I hope you don't mind me mentioning it, but it's yours.


Everyone has a friend just like Martha Stewart, right? WRONG! The correct phrase is "Everyone has a friend who thinks they are like Martha Stewart." Pamela Susan, however, is the real deal!! I bet you thought I was going to give you a link to her blog so you could see exactly what I was talking about? Well that would be plain irresponsible without the following disclaimer:

Disclaimer: Do not read this blog if you have even the tiniest insecurity about your ability as a mother, father, aunt, uncle, or grandparent!! Pamela will leave you wondering how you didn't hand carve a castle cake and cover it with home made glitter fondant between soccer practice and making dinner. And don't think that buying your kid that dream item they've been talking about forever qualifies you for mother of the year. Pamela makes her kids cute little crafts and they look happier than Emery ever did with a Take-A-Long Thomas! On the extreme off chance that you can keep up with her, then I will be the very first person in line at the book signing for your New York Times best seller that will probably be endorsed by Oprah herself.

If you are still thoroughly convinced that you have an iron clad self esteem then I invite you to also become a follower:
http://networkedblogs.com/93sNa

Did you get to the part about cake-pops? You see....cupcakes are SO 2008! Everyone who is anyone now does "cake-pops." And not only does Pamela make them...she does them in ridiculously cute shapes that anyone would feel guilty eating. I actually read this entry to her blog at my sister's house where I almost started laughing tears. I asked Tammi (my sister and a future main character to many stories) if she thought I could make cake-pops? Silence....
I said, "You're probably right. I'd be more apt to give Emery a doughnut hole on a stick."

Speaking of food on sticks, Emery got one of those giant Tootsie Roll suckers at a Harvest Party this week. I told him that he could unwrap it "later" (mom code for "never") and that right now he just needed to hold it. The below picture illustrates how I am frequently outsmarted by a three year old:



And finally, a picture of my little guy on a hayride with yes...."Amber"
:


3 comments:

  1. Oh, Jenny, you don't even know how much I love reading these humorous entries as I sip my morning cup of coffee!!! Please, a new one every morning! I will also put a plug in for Pamela Susan....she makes some amazing jewelery too! Oh, and "Amber"...I know who you are! =-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am laughing so hard! And blushing, too. Jenny--you are hilarious. And yes, you can definitely make cake pops!!

    I can't wait for future posts!! Keep 'em coming. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol! you're an awesome writer and your blog just made it to my "blogs I love" list! I totally know what you mean about the "martha stewarts" ... my biggest problem is that I sit on the computer "all" day reading about what all you fantabulous moms are doing - forget playdates and field trips, my 2yr old loves Ponyo and is happy to watch it every day - lol! I think, after reading this, though - I've decided the really amazing part is not just what all you super-moms accomplish ... but that you manage to blog about it too! Those cake pops were amazing and I'm right with you - me, doing something so intricate and time consuming, probably never gonna happen ... but I'll enjoy another blog and beautiful pics to show what those martha stewart moms are doing in their free time!

    ReplyDelete