Thursday, November 17, 2011

"Guess My Weight" and Other Bad Party Games...

Is it me, or is November flying by?  I truly did not even realize that Thanksgiving was next week until I stopped by a harvest-decorated Safeway this morning for an energy drink, a bag of chips, and some turkey-jerky.  Now I'm not denying that there may have been a time in my life that this could have been my breakfast of choice (dorm room memories come flashing back), but that was long ago when my metabolism was a little faster, my good-judgment was a little slower, and I could buy anything with a student-ID card at a campus store.  10 years later, my  body doesn't forgive me in quite the same manner for eating meals made out of a hot-pot. So just in case you're curious, the chips are for a monthly dinner club where I am only ever trusted to bring the one appetizer I have managed to master (chicken dip with chips), and the turkey-jerky is for Emery's preschool Harvest Party where my tardiness in dropping him off left me the last option on the contribution sign-up list. Apparently you have to be early if you want to bring apple slices or crackers, who knew?

The energy drink actually was for me!  I don't drink them very often, but in preparation for all the holiday-eating heading my way, I've amped up my workout program and needed a little artificial kick-start to get in gear.  Of course, it's not hard to "amp up" your program when your normal routine consists of waiting for the perfect time of day to break out your Jillian Michael's DVD knowing full well that (between kids and cleaning) that time only comes at 10:30 pm which is also conveniently when I deserve to get some much needed rest.   I mean....power walking to the mailbox would be "amping up" my workouts!  Okay, it's not that bad, but really I do need to rearrange my priorities and get fitness back in front of fraternizing.   And this week presented the rare chance to do just that! It was a perfect storm of motivation, opportunity and willpower!

Motivation:  Truth be told, it isn't the holiday eating that brought me back to marathon elliptical sessions. It was something far worse!  If you've been a reader of my blog for a while, you know I'm not particularly fond of personal trainers {read about it here}. So when my friend (name withheld) told me she was now dating a personal trainer (name also withheld), I should have been far more leery than I was! Instead I jumped at the chance to meet him over dinner where after two glasses of wine and 2 hours of asking for fitness & diet tips, he told me he can guess anyone's weight within 5 pounds.  Sober Jenny would know that that statement has red flags all over it!  Buzzed Jenny says, "No way!  Guess me! Guess me!"  So he guessed......14 pounds heavier than I really am!  Keep in mind for someone 5 feet tall, 14 pounds can get into double digits for % of body weight. Translation: I can't blame it on a bulky shirt!  A lesson for all of us: "Guess my weight" is NOT a good party game!  Now I have 14 imaginary pounds to loose on top of all of the "real" weight and toning work that I was already dreading!

Opportunity: I'm probably one of the few people in the world that truly adores their in-laws! For real, I won the "in-law" lottery!  So much in fact, that I was giddy at the prospect of moving mere blocks away from mine.  There are some bonuses to this set up. Close babysitter? Check. Old fashioned home cooked meals? Check.  Free basement gym loaded with toys and already baby proofed? Check!  So while I was sad that they have been out of town for a couple of weeks, I jumped at the chance of claiming my rights to the most private athletic club in town where I can work out to my heart’s content while the kids watch Rio.  Another lesson for all of us: 45 minutes on an elliptical is a long time.  45 minutes on an elliptical watching Rio (again) is a much muuuuuuuuch longer time.

Willpower: This is where the energy drink comes in! I don't have a lot of willpower that isn't spent on making sure my kids are safe and fed, my design work is done, and my house is clean. I'm not too proud to admit I need a little help sometimes.  And in this case, my help comes in a 16 ounce double strength can.  I completely forgot how much energy a RockStar can give you!  The last time I drank these was in my early radio days (RIP KUFO) when they sponsored our station and we had cases and cases laying in the sales department to grab anytime we felt the urge. Truth be told, my manager actually excluded me from those allowed to drink them whenever they wanted. He (not so subtly) told me it was for the sanity of all of those in my department. I was only allowed, unfortunately, to take them home for consumption.

Regardless, I finally got my old stride back!  I'm hoping it doesn't fail me anytime soon because the only back up plan I have is personal conviction and I try not to go there if I don't have to. But here is a wonderful quote that I plan on reading in case of a lack-of-motivation emergency:
I am your constant companion. I am your greatest helper or your heaviest burden. I will push you onwards or drag you down to failure. I am completely at your command. Half the things you do, you might as well turn over to me and I'll do them quickly and correctly. I am easily managed but you must be firm with me. Show me exactly how you want something done and after a few lessons I'll do it automatically. I'm the servant of all great men and, alas, of all failures as well. Those who are great, I have made great. Those who are failures, I have made failures. You can run me for profit or run me for ruin; it makes no difference to me. Take me, train me, be firm with me and I will put the world at your feet. Be easy with me and I'll destroy you! Who am I?
I am HABIT...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment