Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Wasted Time I'll never Get Back...

Wow! I didn't know food was such a heated topic! I mean, I guess I did because I can hardly contain my own eye rolls when the soap boxes start to come out, but it's obvious that all of you have all been put through the same ringer as me and I'm dizzy! Kudos to everyone for having their own beliefs and sticking to them, just quit sharing them with me! Kidding :) I know that I mentioned that I try to buy organic as it becomes more readily available. After reading back what I wrote in a heated moment I should clarify that statement as not to be on my own soap box. I should have said, "I shop organic if I happen to be on that side of the store." Realistically, if I make it all the way over to paper goods toting two kids (one of which insists on walking by himself but gets distracted by every randomly displayed Pez dispenser along the way...thank you Fred Meyer) and I see a pile of Tostitos chips, I have no problem qualifying that as a vegetable to save the long walk back to produce. I'm no saint, I'm in survival mode!

Besides milk, another thing I have always tried to buy organic is baby food. I'll admit that at one point (when Emery was about 6 months old) I too fell victim to a smug attitude when I proudly announced my purchasing habits to a group of fellow moms who all looked at me with their mouths wide open. I knew they would be impressed! "You don't make your own baby food Jenny?" WHAT?? I CAN'T WIN! I don't think I was being asked that because people were questioning my food choices. I think they were just astonished that I hadn't figured out how to use my blender on boiled sweet potatoes. Well guess what? I don't own a blender. For real I don't! Maybe I should have made that a priority 6 years ago when I was toting a laser gun around Macy's feeling slightly entitled and still awkwardly greedy picking out my own wedding presents. I own a Magic Bullet. It's something I convinced my husband we HAD to have after many a late nights watching three giddy strangers drink margaritas while their overly enthusiastic host made guacamole in 3 seconds. I truly thought this might be the key to me hosting my very own Mexican fiesta someday! I'll save you the suspense and tell you that all I got was $50 worth of broken dreams and guacamole that looked more like halved avocados because it actually was just that.....halved avocados. That thing takes 3 seconds like it takes me 3 seconds to get ready for a night out on the town! Actually, it probably does only take me 3 seconds to get ready since I don't have too many people to impress anymore and by "town" I mean Sherwood. Jenny 1. Magic Bullet 0.

By some miracle last week I decided to dust that thing off and give baby food making another try. Really my "miracle" came in the form of a $70/month baby food bill. Those little jars add up! So with the best of intentions I bought 2 sweet potatoes, boiled them, and Magic Bulleted away. I forgot to mention the very important steps where I Googled "how do I make baby food?" and the 20 minutes after where I watched YouTube videos made by women with even more discretionary time than myself. In any case my research paid off because it worked!! I made 6 little Glad containers of sweet potatoes and I was gleaming! So intense was my satisfaction that I started going through my freezer looking for anything I could puree. Peas? Pureed. Carrots? Pureed. I just kept going! I even stopped to consider whether or not you can puree meatballs because those things have been hogging valuable freezer space for too long! (Sidenote: Next person to invite me to a potluck...guess what I'm bringing?) By the time I was done I had a whole freezer shelf full of homemade baby food! I was high on life right up until I went to Costco and came home toting bulk sized staples that all require freezing and, alas, had no more freezer space. Stupid baby food! What am I supposed to do now? Where will I keep my spinach and mozzarella raviolis until I find them in 8 months, wonder if they are good, and throw them out??

I bet you thought this story was going somewhere? Joke is on you! The only thing this story leads to is me telling you that I spent my entire morning reorganizing my fridge and freezer. Exciting stuff huh? So in an (organic) nutshell....you just wasted 5 minutes reading this and I wasted even more time writing it. Happy Wednesday!

Jenny

PS.... I really do want to say thanks to everyone who keeps reading this blog. Really mom...I love you too! I don't pretend to be a writer, just a self published amateur complainer who had enjoyed reconnecting with a lot of people who seem to be in the same boat :) We're all in this together right?

No comments:

Post a Comment